Tuesday 23 December 2014

What has an Anchovy, Mobile, Mini skirt and Christmas got in Common?

I learnt many years ago to keep an open mind about everything, and I'd like to think that the lesson shows itself in the way I am open to new ideas, people, their behaviour and beliefs by listening, learning and acting accordingly.

I learnt this valuable lesson from the above ingredients in my title because i was so adamant about how I felt about them, at the time. Let me explain:

Anchovies - I loathed these with a passion when I was a child, in fact even as a teenager. My father loved them and I thought he was seriously mad. Not only do I adore them now but if I fancy them, I have to go to the supermarket and get some in the very next shop.

Mobile phones - I remember in the late 90's getting a phone call from a mobile salesman and I said
'I do not have a mobile phone, never wanted a mobile phone and will never want a mobile phone'. Yeah, exactly!

Mini skirts - I have fallen in and out of love for these things since I was 14, vowing never to wear them again once I reached my 30's thinking they looked cheap, only to find myself wearing them again literally a few months later, and then going off them again. Suffice to say there comes an age when you just can't wear them but I still love them!

And so it is with Christmas. When i was a single parent, I had several years of waking up on my own, without even my son, on christmas day - such is the nature of split families, But at least in my story I got to be with him from 11am onwards when I would pick him up from his father's and take him to my family.

Christmas really exaggerates how one feels when one is without a partner and for many years I dreaded and hated it. I just used to make the most of it and knew that so many people were much worse off than I was,  I would dwell on such loneliness of others, which only added to my feelings that Christmas wasn't what it was cut out to be.In fact was an expensive way to feel miserable and stressed!

Then I met my second hubby and although it became a far more magical time, it took me several years to grow to love it again, because I couldn't shake off the feeling that so many lonely people must be feeling as i used to, at that time.

Now that I have grandchildren, I love Christmas and made the conscious decision that I would enjoy it without any feelings of guilt. I'd spent my lonely times and that is life but it is up to each of us to make the most of our lovely family times, relishing the children while they are young enough to believe in Father Christmas..

Christmas is about hope and as I have said, past poisons can become present medicines so never lose faith and hope that your year will be a better one or an even better one!

I rarely say Never now..

Christmas is the time for reflection, gratitude and giving.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment