To report any power cuts and damaged lines on free helplines, please refer to the following numbers: In the South East call 0800 783 8866, in the East of England call 0800 783 8838 and in London call 0800 028 0247.
You can also see www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk and follow the company on twitter for updates @ukpowernetworks .
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how our customers can prepare for a power cut:
· Keep our freephone number handy
· See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut.
· Keep spare batteries for radios and torches – local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
· Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won’t work in the event of a power cut
· Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
· Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
· Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
· Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
· Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
· Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people